Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A New Beginning...

 

 
 
Yes, a new beginning for Upon A Country Knoll.  Many things shared before may be repeats for those who visited this blog before it was redone.  I will start off by saying that I write for my own enjoyment, stories of the days events now and yesteryear.  An old fashioned girl at heart I love my simple country life even with it's struggles of living on a fixed income.  Life circumstances brought about learning to live and thrive on a small fixed income for hubby and I.  It's not always easy but we manage with the blessings and love of family, friends and through our own determination and strong Faith. 
 
I've been told that I am a lot like my maternal grandmother in that she was a "jack of all trades" and not afraid of hard work, the kind some people call "man's work".  Widowed early in life she learned to do all types of "bull work" from gardening to remodeling all on our own.  She was a expert knitter, seamstress, carpenter and handled any and all chores in and around her home herself.  She loved to work with dirt, landscaping her yard and was not afraid of heavy hard work.  One thing Gram never was that I am is a quilter, she had no time for quilting in her busy schedule.  She became a registered nurse and worked nights in the nursing home near her home.  She loved to pick up items others threw out near the curb and give them new life.  I share that with her much to the chagrin of hubby and family!  Gram is gone now, her passing was bittersweet.  Free of illness which was a blessing, she suffered the last 13 years of her life with dementia and Alzheimers but gone from those who loved and admired her for her many talents.  I have her knitting needles and some of her patterns as well as her old Singer sewing machine which still works as well as many memories of Grandma Ida and Great Aunt Ruby.  "Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters!". 
 
I've been blessed to share my life with strong minded women and I've learned some valuable lessons from each.  My childhood was lived in a country home back when life was simple and full of fun from using our own imaginations.  We kids, a brother and three sisters along with farm neighbor kids knew how to make our own fun.  Sledding in winter, swimming and baseball games in summer, jumping in huge leaf piles in fall and learning to ride our bikes in early spring as well as helping Dad plant gardens.  We went to bed early and woke early with plans for each new day. 
 
I will share some of my childhood memories and stories here.  I will also share craft projects and items Hubby and I have made to decorate our home. You'll get to know our sweet pets and how we live life on a shoestring budget.  Mostly, I will share my love of simple  joys and country life.
Thanks for visiting once again!
 
Blessings,
Sher  

1 comment:

  1. So happy you have started up again and sad that I missed your previous postings that got deleted. I will enjoy what you will share with us now. Its always nice to find a friend who shares so many of the same interest.

    ReplyDelete