Sunday, July 31, 2016

Doing It My Way...

 
 
 
Showing the back of a quilt so the hand quilting is visible.  Why? You may ask.....well, I have come to realize that these days large quilting stitches and machine quilting is so very popular.  I am seeing both ways being done on quilt blogs and hearing the same from friends.  Even at our last state fair we attended the quilts were almost all machine quilted! The patterns and colors were wonderful but I wasn't thrilled with the machine quilting on any of the quilts.
 
Now, if you're a machine quilter or like that look, please know I am not knocking you, nor those who like the look of large quilt stitches.  As the saying goes, "to each their own".  I'm just saying that for me, I don't favor that look.
 
Being a simple country girl with an old fashion heart I like to stick with tradition.  The large quilting stitches are fine for a prim look but they don't represent my idea of quilting. 
Perhaps, it is because I am a self taught quilter that I feel this way.  It took me many years and lots of practice to be able to make my quilting stitches small and with each quilt they are getting better!
 
So, I guess it's just a matter of personal choice.  I love the look of hand quilting.  I like the feeling of accomplishment when a quilt is completed and I see all the small stitches.  Yes, I know machine quilting is so much faster but I'm not in any hurry. 
 
Everyday the world seems to spin just a bit faster around me.  Hand quilting requires a slow but steady pace.  It allows me time to relax and let my mind wander where it may as I work to a goal of finishing the quilt.
 
So in spite of what may be popular or the latest fad, when it comes to quilting I will continue to enjoy doing it my way! Ü
 
Thanks for visiting!
 
Blessings,
Sher



No comments:

Post a Comment