Sunday, November 13, 2016

~ Sharing A Memory ~

I was chatting with a friend and she was telling me how the wall near her bed was cold.  It was then that I remembered one of my favorite memories from years past and I shared it with her as a possible suggestion to keeping her room warmer. 
 
Years ago, our homestead was next door to a dairy farm.  We kids played with the farm kids since living in the country there weren't many other kids close by.
 
One winter afternoon, I was invited to come to the farmhouse to spend the afternoon with one of the girls who was near my age.  I walked across the fields between our house and the farm.  The field was covered in brush and saplings. I knew when I reached the far end of the field and the beginning of the pasture land that I would have to carefully crawl under the barb wire fences and make my way to the house. Not an easy feat with boots and a bulky snowsuit, hat and mittens!
 
When I finally reached the side door which was the kitchen door of the farmhouse I was greeted by a rush of warm air and the aroma of cooked bacon wafting through the room. Inside was a large black wood cook stove with cast iron skillets and a large soup pot simmering on a back burner. 
 
As I looked around the large room I could see an old cot with blankets layered upon it behind the stove. Napping on the cot was the old grandfather. On the exterior wall between the cot and wall a quilt hung from near the ceiling to the floor.  At the end of the cot facing towards the door was another quilt folded over a string as a hanger that went from the wall by the cot to the wall near the door. This quilt was able to be closed to keep drafts off the old grandfather. His little nook looked so cozy and warm, what a wonderful place to nap and dream the wintry days away!
 
This kitchen was completely different from the one I grew up with. It was then that I realized I had a fondness for wood cook stoves and the charm and warmth of a farmhouse kitchen. 
 
Granted, I've never cooked on one or ever had to rely totally on wood nor have I any idea how to adjust the temperature for either stove top or oven like our modern stoves we cook on today.  
 
These days kitchens are built smaller, those wonderful old black wood stoves would no longer fit in.  No rocking chair, no cozy area to nap, no quilts hung against walls or folded over string to ward off chills or the aroma of bacon mixed with the scent of smoke in the air.  Days of old are long gone and nearly forgotten. 
 
In my bedroom, I have an old quilt found on CL's for only a few dollars.  It has a very thick batting and is heavy. I asked Hubby to hang it up near the ceiling for me to add a coziness to my room.  In the picture it is folded to keep kitty from pulling at it.
 
On cold winter nights when the snow is falling and the winds are howling up the knoll and around our little house. I look at the old quilt remembering fondly that winter day when I visited the farmhouse next door so many years ago. Sometimes I wish we had a large kitchen to fit a wood cook stove and a rocking chair to sit near the stove.  Someday when the budget allows I would like to have a braided rug near the sink and one by the door. I like my burgundy/tan plaid curtains but someday may change them out for lace curtains and if kitty would allow it I would have a red geranium in a tin can sitting on the windowsill.  All the things that remind of that cozy farm kitchen with it's welcoming and warm atmosphere. 
 
Oh btw, I don't know if my friend hung a quilt on her bedroom wall to help keep her room warmer or not. But I've enjoyed sharing a favorite memory with her and with you!
 
Thanks for visiting! 
 
Blessings,
Sher
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment